The Boyd Gate House 

1125 B Street San Rafael

Open:  W-F 10 am - 2 pm     Sat 11 am - 3 pm 

null

   History Watch   

History Watch is a regular feature in the Marin Independent Journal written by Scott Fletcher,
a volunteer at the Marin History Museum. Older articles can be viewed on our Collections Catalog.

All of the images are from the Marin History Museum collection, and can be purchased online.

Recent Articles

 Tiburon’s U.S. Naval History
November 28, 2022

With its deep-water channel and access to the San Francisco Bay, the Tiburon Peninsula has been a prime location for fisheries, ship-building and naval bases since the indigenous Miwok came to these shores. With the arrival of the Spanish in the eighteenth century, the Tiburon peninsula was given its name and would become part of the Mexican land grant, Corte Madera del Presidio.
  
  Santa Venetia's Past
November 14, 2022

This early 1950’s era photograph shows Clark Reagan’s Texaco Service Station at 296 N. San Pedro Rd. in Santa Venetia. The price of gas at the time was about 18 cents/gallon and, as the sign reads, you could enjoy a nice cold Royal Crown Cola while filling up. 

   
  The Quan Family Legacy of China Camp
October 31, 2022

Henry Quan was the patriarch of China Camp’s second generation of shrimp and fishing families that made the secluded cove near Pt. San Pedro their home. He came to the area with his family in the late 1890s as a young child when China Camp still had a thriving shrimp-fishing industry.


   

The Historic Porteous Log Cabin in Ross
October 17, 2022

Scottish immigrants, James and Janet Porteous, were leading citizens and wealthy landowners in San Francisco in the latter half of the 19th century. Newspaper accounts of the era document, scores of real estate transactions the Porteous’ were involved in all over the City. On an 1880 census form, James’ occupation is unabashedly listed as “Capitalist.” In 1883, they became early settlers in the Ross Valley after purchasing over 1100 acres of Rancho Punta de Quentin.

   
Lake Lagunitas, “A Clear and Polished Gem”
October 01, 2022

Ah...a lovely afternoon fishing on the lake. This photograph, though undated, was taken at Lake Lagunitas some time between 1915 and 1925. On close inspection, the solitary fisherman stands leisurely along the shoreline and seems to be gazing at the couple in the boat.


   
  The Evolution of the Cal Park Hill Tunnel
September 19, 2022

The Cal Park Hill Tunnel that connects Larkspur to San Rafael was originally constructed in 1884 by the North Pacific Coast Railroad. Previously, rail traffic from Sausalito had to follow a route through Mill Valley, downtown Larkspur and San Anselmo with a spur line to San Rafael.


   
  Elizabeth Terwilliger – Nature’s Passionate Advocate!
September 5, 2022

Elizabeth Terwilliger was one of kind. She was an ardent naturalist and environmentalist who dedicated her life to protecting the environment and passing on her love and knowledge of the natural world to three generations of Marin children and adults.


   
  The Early History of Bolinas
August 22, 2022

Although the name Bolinas is somewhat lost in history, most historians attribute its origin to a similar sounding name given to the land by the Coast Miwok tribes who lived in the area. 




Marin History Museum

1125 B Street
San Rafael, CA 94901

info@marinhistory.org

415-382-1182

 

The Marin History Museum is a 501(c)6 non-profit organization.

© 2022 
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software